The Barton Reading & Spelling System is an Orton-Gillingham influenced, multi-sensory, direct, explicit, structured and sequential program designed for intense intervention. The system is research and evidence based, and approved by the California, Colorado, and Arkansas Boards of Education. The program meets all requirements of No Child Left Behind and supports the Common Core. The Barton System will improve the spelling, reading, and writing skills of any student you know or suspect has dyslexia.
A Barton student must:
- Be at least 5 years old and in kindergarten
- Speak and comprehend spoken English
- This is not for students with receptive or expressive language disorders.
- This is not an ESL program- a non-native English speaker must be able to speak and understand spoken English at a second grade level.
- Have an IQ of 70 or higher
- Struggle with spelling when writing stories, and cannot easily sound out unknown words when reading. This system is not for students who can already read accurately and fluently, but struggle only with comprehension.
- Pass the 10 minute Barton Student Screening
*Students need a minimum of 2 hours of one-on-one tutoring per week, and can take 18-36 months for the student to complete the program. More sessions per week is always better for student progress.
For more information or to register, please contact:
Director of Educational Services