Focus: Students will practice mechanics of writing well developed paragraphs and gain confidence in their own writing abilities. Units 1 and 2, as described below, will be presented as the foundation for paragraph writing. Units 3 and/or 4 will be presented to expand skills relevant to classroom writing assignments.
Unit 1: Note Making and Outlines
- Students will:Choose and record key words which will help them remember a complete idea and use a
basic outline format.
- Communicate the main ideas from something they have read by using their own key word
- Choose selections, read them, create key word outlines independently, and orally retell the
basic ideas to another person using only the outline.
Unit 2: Writing from Notes
- For students to retell in writing short stories or articles by using key word outlines.
- To provide content for students to use while learning the writing and rewriting process.
- For students to become independent in the process of:
- choosing a source and making a key word outline
- rewriting from their own notes (without copying from the source)
- dressing-up their summaries and rewriting a final draft
Unit 3: Retelling Narrative Stories
- Identify the story sequence in a narrative story.
- Make outlines based on the Story Sequence Chart.
- Summarize stories from outlines and internalize the components of a well constructed story.
- Know that each paragraph has a purpose.
Unit 4: Summarizing a Reference
- For students to learn to use the classroom or home library and ultimately the main library, find reading material on a topic, take notes, and write a summary. (For purpose of summer clinic, the reading materials will be provided.)
- To introduce the topic sentence and concluding sentence.
- For students to be able to use one reference, taking key word outline notes on a specific topic from a reference, and write summary from the outline.
- For students to document their references and report orally or in writing on what they found and where they found it.
Elizabeth Hipwell, M.Ed.
Certified Barton Reading & Spelling Tutor