A break from routine, mind-opening experiences, trying new foods, new things, and making memories – are only a few of the benefits of taking a family vacation.
Now more than ever, getting out of the house and doing something new and different as a family is exactly what your kids need, (and probably what you need as well).
3 Ways Family Vacations Benefit The Family Unit
Emerging from the last two and a half years (where we spent a lot of time together as a family) – it may seem counterintuitive to assume the benefits of spending even more family time together. But hear me out.
Boredom, spontaneity and bonding are even more beneficial than you realize
- One of the best benefits of vacationing together as a family is BOREDOM. In our regular lives, boredom is an opportunity for engagement and mindfulness. On vacation – boredom is OK. Boredom is encouraged – allowing your children the freedom to be bored while also appearing bored yourself – is a great way to collectively shake off the shackles of everyday responsibilities.
- Who amongst us isn’t guilty of being our family’s taskmasters (in general)? Sprinkle in a pandemic, masks, social distancing etc. – the lists of things to remember and remind everyone about feels endless. Gifting your family a relaxed version of you – without a list of tasks or things to remember – benefits the family as a unit. It is so much easier to take direction from someone who you can also laugh and relax with – laugh and relax together. Embrace the boredom and throw out the lists, your first week back to real life will thank you.
- Vacations provide the setting to create shared memories which cultivates closer family bonds. Thinking about what we have emerged from, coupled with what our children have been forced to acclimate to – it’s nice to find new opportunities to bond. Plus, bonding offers a sense of stability and security and isn’t that what our kids need now more than anything else?
3 Ways Family Vacations Benefit Your Kids
No surprises here – your kids benefit even more than you will as a unit from a family vaca –
- Fully sanctioned boredom is a gift we hate giving – but it’s the perfect present for a family vacation. Modeling the ability to relax while also gifting the ability to be bored is easy and cheap – (two adjectives never used toi describe what our kids want…)
- Giving yourself the grace to relax and chill out is actually the nod your kids were waiting for. Taking it dow a notch is great for you – but really its great for them – so, relax, someone is always watching.
- If we have learnt anything it is that our kids – while resilient, cannot just bounce back from anything just because we want them to. Bonding and reinforcing the stability and strength of your family unit is a must do – and doing it on vacation is easy. And now more than ever our kids need stable and strong familial units.
Next Steps: Taking Family Vacations For All Budgets and Circumstances
None of these benefits cost anything but the return on investment is immeasurable.
Often we hear ‘vacation’ and we think ‘trip’. Really though, a vacation is a break – and with summer right around the corner its worth it to start thinking about that break, or vacation.
No, you don’t have to go away – but if you can, how nice!
Instead of staring at the seemingly endless abyss that is summer, structure some of those days and repurpose them as a “family vacation.” Cook new foods together, sleep in a tent, build stuff, paint things – whatever you do and for however long – think about the benefits.
So yes, a break from routine, mind-opening experiences, trying new foods, and all the other vacation cliches – really are great. BUT, right now, summer 2022, there are 3 benefits that you need and your kids need even more. Vacationing to be bored, spontaneous and in order to bond – is the antidote to the last 2.5 years – so start planning that vacation.